Time and again we have discussed the importance of referral business. Identifying your best customers and getting more just like them is a great way to increase the success of your company. However, once you have turned an outstanding client into a referral source – what do you do next? Nurture, nurture, nurture! In order to keep those relationships strong, and keep them thinking of you, it is crucial that you nurture them on a regular basis – and in different ways. Some great options include:
- Sending a handwritten thank-you note, and (if appropriate) a gift. When someone goes out of their way to refer you business, don’t let their kind act go unnoticed! Sincerity goes a long way in building and continuing good relationships.
- Calling them regularly. This doesn’t mean you have to badger them every week – but staying in touch on at least a monthly basis will keep them thinking of you.
- Meeting in person. Whether you meet to discuss additions to your services and offerings; or simply get together in a casual setting; face time goes a long way. Building the relationship doesn’t always have to be about business. Going to an event, or even just to lunch is a great way to get to know them better. Remember – if they like you, (not just what you can provide) they’re more likely to refer you to others.
- Returning the favor. Taking the opportunity to refer back to them is a great way to show them you value their commitment to you and your business, and that you are committed to them as well.
- Thanking them publicly. This is one of the best ways you can show you really care. From posting some kind words on their social media site, mentioning them in your newsletter or nominating them for an award – this is a great way to go above and beyond for your best referral sources.
We’d like to take this opportunity to publicly thank one of our clients, RBP Methods, for referring our new client ProSoft Solutions. We are honored by our relationship with you and are so thankful for your referral!